Thanksgiving always makes me think of those who first came to America seeking freedom. They went through much hardship to establish this country as our earthly home. Many have come after them pressing on with the same goal in mind. They have left for us a heritage of freedom and liberty. Of course, I can not reflect on the heritage of America without also thinking of the heritage established long before the Pilgrims sailed to America. This heritage is more meaningful. More precious.
Scripture tells us that God established a heritage. The Israelites, His chosen people, were the initial recipients. Then that heritage was graciously extended to anyone who will “confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9) What a blessing! Psalm 127:3 says that “children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” The heritage that I received from my father is one of faith, love, and family. I pray that I pass the same on to my children.
The definition of heritage, according to Webster’s 1828 dictionary is: Inheritance, and estate that passes from an ancestor to an heir by descent or course of law; that which is inherited.
1 Peter 5:4 & 10 explains that as children of God, we are called by and cared for by Him. This is our heritage.
The explanation of our heritage from the Lord begins in Genesis. The promises of God are laid out before us all through Genesis. The qualities of who He is is told over and over again. I am being reminded of this heritage as I work my way through Devotions from Genesis by Nicole Halbrooks Vaughn. (Review coming soon)
I wanted to leave you with a few verses that beautifully remind us of our heritage from the Lord:
- For you separated them from among all the peoples of the earth to be your heritage, as you declared through Moses your servant, when you brought our fathers out of Egypt, O Lord GOD.” ~ 1 Kings 8:53
- Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. ~ Psalm 2:8
- Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! ~ Psalm 33:12
- The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever; ~ Psalm 37:18
- For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. ~ Psalm 61:5
- Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. ~ Psalm 119:111
- The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. ~ Revelation 21:7
Happy Thanksgiving and Joy to You!!