What delights you??
It could be anything. Or anyone.
It could be good news or simply enjoying nature. The photo above was taken on a family trip to a local garden and the sun peeking through the leaves is to me delightful. It just makes me smile.
I’ve been thinking about this word DELIGHT for awhile now. You see, a few weeks ago, I was struggling with being a good mom, wife, etc., and was lamenting to a dear friend about my struggles. She looked at me and said something that has really stuck with me. She said that our many roles and the people attached to those roles, especially the little ones we are trusted to parent, should be our DELIGHT. They are God given and that should make us thankful and grateful. Wow!! Kind of puts parenting into perspective for me. And marriage!
So, as I have thought about delight, I wondered what DELIGHT really means? Webster’s 1828 dictionary defines it like this as a noun:
A high degree of pleasure, or satisfaction of mind; joy. That which gives great pleasure
And this as a verb:
To affect with great pleasure; to please highly; to give or afford high satisfaction or joy
And of course, I went to the Bible to see what God has to say about DELIGHT:
- But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. ~ Psalm 1:2
- Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation. ~ Psalm 35:9
- Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4
- Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them. ~ Psalm 111:2
- Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands. ~ Psalm 112:1
- I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. ~ Psalm 119:16
- Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors. ~ Psalm 119:24
- Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. ~ Psalm 119:35
- I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. ~ Isaiah 61:10
And maybe the best one of all as we read that He takes GREAT Delight in us:
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” ~ Zephaniah 3:17
His path. His commands. His words. His statues. His law. His salvation. HIM!! These are the things that we should DELIGHT in.
What a beautiful thought. That we can DELIGHT in Him and those he has put into our lives. And that He delights in us.
May you find DELIGHT in every moment of every day!
Joy to You!
I’m linking this post up with Benandme.com